About Me

My photo
"It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things" Donald Miller

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The Palace of Versailles

I took a full-day during my time in Paris to head about 45 minutes outside of the city to the Palace of Versailles. I woke up bright and early to catch the subway out to the train station where I would then take the train. It was a cloudy, cold day, but it was an amazing place.  I was glad I took the time to go and see it.  I could literally have spent hours wandering around, through the different rooms.  I did a guided tour to ensure I got the full-experience and saw all the must-see rooms and things within the Palace.  It was so extravagant.  I also loved learning about the different lifestyles each King and Royal Family lived during their time in the Palace.  For example, one of the Kings was such a "public" King that he had two bedrooms, the public bedroom where people would watch him get into bed, then they would leave and he would scamper over to his private bedroom.  In the morning, the same thing would happen, he would technically awaken in his private bedroom, but then go into his public bedroom, where he would awaken with a large group of people standing around watching him.  It was so strange to hear the little quirks about each of the Kings and their families, but I learned a lot.  Here are some of my pictures from the day. 

My first glimpse of Versailles.  It is so huge, this picture does not even do it justice. 

Entering the Palace Grounds.

Gold is literally EVERYWHERE.  It was so fancy.

Needed a picture in the inner courtyard, used exclusively by the King.  

The back of the Palace, wandering around the gardens.

The landscaping and gardens were extremely gorgeous.  I would love to return sometime in the summer.


The Coronation Room.

Hall of Mirrors.  

Hall of Mirrors.

I forget which room this was, but the paintings on the walls and ceilings were just breathtaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment