About Me

My photo
"It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things" Donald Miller

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Second-Hand Clothing Market

I apologize for being so late with blogs.  These next few blogs will be filling you in on the past couple of weeks.

On the weekend of  September 23-25 (two weekends ago), my roommates and I joined a legal officer on a little shopping excursion.  We went to a used-clothing market about 30 minutes outside of Arusha.  It was crazy!  There were HUGE piles of clothing everywhere.  The goal was to dig and dig and dig until you found something you liked.  Amanda, the legal officer, we joined for the day, told us if we found something we liked that wouldn't fit, we could take it to a tailor in town and get it fixed for less than $3.  I didn't buy too much, I was just trying to wrap my head around the madness of the market.  All in all, I found a cute top for $1, an Ann Taylor skirt for $2, and two pieces of fabric.  I printed a picture of a dress off a website, and took it to a seamstress, she will be making a dress for me.  The fabric cost around $5, and having the dress made to fit me perfectly cost around $20.  I am super excited to see how it turns out, I will post a picture as soon as I get it back.  I had the dress made with the brown fabric.  I think it will be very nice.  Overall, it was a fantastic day, exploring the marketplace outside of Arusha.  Now that I know what to expect, I can't wait to go back and dig in. 



Jane, Katariina, and I also decided to spend a few dollars on some fantastic, beautiful dresses.  Actually, these are quite possibly the ugliest dresses I have ever seen, but we needed some new threads for our party we were throwing that Saturday night.  So we each paid around $2 for these gorgeous finds.  After a while, we did a wardrobe change, and graced the guest with our presence (in these dresses).  We got a lot of good laughs.  I am sure this dress will be used on multiple occasions for more laughs.


Okay, so that was our "fashion weekend" in Arusha.  I'll post other fabulous second-hand market finds as I discover them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment