About Me

My photo
"It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things" Donald Miller

Monday, October 24, 2011

Korean Food in Africa


All in all, this was another lazy week/weekend in Arusha.  Two of my housemates were gone this weekend.  Kris went to Lake Victoria, the second largest lake in the world, to explore.  Faith went on safari.  They both were gone all weekend, not to return until Tuesday.  So it was Jane, Katariina, and myself in Arusha this weekend. 

Thursday night is generally the night to go out in Arusha.  The popular "mzungu" (foreigner) spot on Thursday night is a dance club/bar/restaurant called Via Via.  It has become one of my favorite spots in Arusha.  During the average day, one can sit in the outdoor restaurant and enjoy delicious salads and cold drinks; but on Thursday night, this place is radically transformed into the most exciting nightlife spot in Arusha.  It has an outdoor dance floor, live DJ, tons of local dancers who "battle" on the dance floor, two bars, and a huge bonfire with lots of seating.  On Thursday, I went out to eat with some of my housemates and fellow intern friends.  We ate at a local Chinese place called the "Dragon Pearl" which in our opinion is the best in town.  After Chinese, it wasn't quite time to head to Via Via as the festivities don't kick off until around midnight, so we decided to head to Mt. Meru Hotel (yes, the fancy one) and enjoy some dessert and wine.  The group ordered a mint chocolate sundae, and two warm-chocolate tarts with ice cream, both of which were amazing.  We also ordered a couple of bottles of wine, and enjoyed each others company.  At around midnight, we headed to Via Via.  Our group stayed until around 4 a.m.  I've never been a fan of the "dance club" in the US; however, at Via Via, I am a dancing fool!  I love dancing under the African stars, there is just something about it, it feels really special. 

On Friday, I decided it was finally time to purchase my hiking boots for Mt. Kilimanjaro.  I knew I needed to get some so I could start wearing them around, getting them worn in so I won't kill my feet during the climb.  I found a great pair for around $70, and my size was the only size left.  Apparently, I was meant to own these boots.  Jane and I also shopped around at some of the stores in the little shopping complex.  There was a bookstore, and some beautiful souvenirs stores that had some fantastic Masai beaded jewelry.  That night, we met up with some others at the restaurant called "The Blue Heron." It is very nice restaurant in Arusha with lovely outdoor seating in a garden.  We enjoyed some fresh pizzas and desserts.  After that, we decided to watch "Forgetting Sarah Marshall" which was hilarious.  All in all, a very low-key night, but very fun. 

Saturday was an exciting day.  One of the interns here is Korean, and his family lives here in Arusha as missionaries.  He invited a group of interns over to his home to enjoy some homemade Korean food with his family.  He picked us up in Arusha and took us wayyyy outside of the city to a Bible college.  His father is a Methodist pastor, and the family has lived in Africa for many many years.  It was such a treat to have a home cooked meal and to be inside a home with a family.  It was such a fun day, getting to know some of the interns who work in other parts of the Tribunal and try some new food!  Overall, Korean food gets an A+ in my book.  It was delicious.  I hope to find a Korean restaurant back in Cincinnati, but I'm positive it will not live up to this!  All of the veggies were grown on location; all the cheese was produced on location; and all of the meat was raised on location.  Talk about some fresh, good-for-the-soul food.  After we had dinner, we we were treated to a tour of the Bible College.  Below are some pictures from the day...


Before...

After...oh geeze.

Little walk to see the landscape which include lots of livestock and nice gardens.

Mt. Meru.  The second highest peak in Tanzania (second to Mt. Kilimanjaro)

Some of our veggies were grown here.  Yum.
On Sunday, Jane and I decided to be dedicated gym-goers, and went to the gym at the Tribunal first thing in the morning.  We worked out for about an hour.  I am trying to do a lot of running as well as squats, lunges, and calve raises to get fit for all that climbing I'll be doing in December on Kilimanjaro.  We decided to go to a cute little bistro called Picasso Cafe.  It has great soups, sandwiches, salads, and wraps.  I had a sweet-chili chicken wrap with avocado and finished with a little bit of cheesecake.  Dessert seems to be a prominent theme in my life these days.  Katariina, Jane, and I went back to the house for a little HBO movie watching.  Unfortunately, Twilight was on, but we were thankful for power/electricity and an opportunity to lay around on the couches, so Twilight it was.  Eric, the son of the family who manages our property, came over in the afternoon to ask if he and the security guard could watch a football match on our TV.  There was a big game: Manchester United v. Manchester City.  It was hilarious to hear the two bicker back and forth about this match (Eric was for Manchester City and the security guard was cheering for Manchester United).  It sounded like any group of guys yelling at a college game in the US, and it was very entertaining. 

Well, I am back at work today.  I have a lot to do this week to get ready for my Mom's visit.  I have to finish some safari planning and get some tours set up for her so she can explore a little of Arusha while I am at work.  I cannot believe she gets here on Saturday!  It's crazy to think that after she leaves, I will only have 3 weeks left of my internship, a week of climbing Mt. Kili, then I head to Dar/Zanzibar for the study abroad program, and then home!  Time is going by so quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment