About Me

My photo
"It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things" Donald Miller

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Lazy Weekend

Not much to report on the African homefront this week.  Last weekend was spent literally doing nothing, which was a nice break from my previous weekends of travel to, from and around Rwanda.  Three of my housemates went to Zanzibar for a long weekend, so the house was very quiet with only two of us remaining  here in Arusha. 

On Firday night, I was a dedicated UK basketball fan and stayed up to watch Big Blue Madness.  I took a little nap until Big Blue Madness started, and then watched it live via online streaming.  I was up till almost 4:30 a.m.  However, it was amazing and totally worth it.  My goodness, this team is going to be incredible.  I love that we have fresh, new talent, but some returning favorites of mine (Miller and Lamb).  I am expecting great things from this team, and am hoping it is the team that brings home the 8th National Championship!  Wow, I get so excited when I think about basketball starting in the bluegrass.  Although I must admit, it did make me quite homesick this weekend.  It makes me miss my family especially since UK basketball is something my family and I watch together. 

On Saturday night, I went out with a friend and tried a new restaurant called Khan's BBQ.  It is a very interesting restaurant as it is a auto-parts store by day and restaurant at night.  Literally, in the evening, the owner rolls out a few grills, sets up a "buffet" style table full of delicious salads, and starts grilling meat (lamb, beef, or chicken) and naan (Indian bread).  It was so good!  Without any trouble, my friend and I ate an ENTIRE chicken between the two of us.  They put some kind of Indian spice rub on the chicken, and it was truly fantastic.  While I do get tired of the food here sometimes, I know once I return home I am going to miss the unique types of foods I have been able to try while here in Tanzania.  After dinner, we headed to the fancy hotel to get some ice cream.  I have the biggest sweet tooth, and have discovered the best ice cream in town comes from the best hotel in town (naturally).  I ordered something different from my typical chocolate milk shake, and opted for the chocolate-mint sundae.  It was basically five scoops of mint and chocolate swirl ice cream with chocolate sauce.  Oh. My. Gosh.  It was out of this world! 

On Sunday, I layed around all day and read "Persuasion" by Jane Austen.  I am trying to read a lot while I am here because I have the time unlike during semesters at school.  Thus far, I have read: Room, One Day, The Street Lawyer, and about 130 pages of Atlast Shrugged (had to stop, needed a break, it's very heavy reading), and now Persuasion.  We are almost out of books between the five of us at the white house.  Although, I know of a legal officer who has a great collection of books (have already been scooping out future reads), and she said I could borrow a book anytime.  So no worries, there is plenty of good books that will keep me occupied!

In other news, my mom will be here in 10 days!  I can't wait.  I have been busy planning our safari, and I know she is going to love it.  We are going to be visitng Taragire National Park, Ngorangora Crater Convervatory Park, and Seregeti National Park.  We are also going to do some shopping, sightseeing and eating around Arusha.  Drive to see Mt. Kilimanjaro (hopefully there will be no clouds).  She is going to visit the ICTR and hopefully sit in court for a litte while.  And I am sending her on a coffee plantation visit.  Needless to say, she is going to be very tired after her stay in Tanzania. 

Oh, and my Dad, brother and Mom all let me know last night that we have UK SEASON BASKETBALL TICKETS FOR THE 2011-2012 SEASON!  Best. News. Ever.  I can't wait to get back home and head to Rupp Arena. 

GO CATS, much love from Tanzania. 

3 comments:

  1. Ashley--So glad to hear about your exciting adventures and even the quiet weekends and how you are spending your time. I'm glad you were able to watch Big Blue Madness, enjoy some yummy ice cream and get in some reading during this season.
    Lew is a huge Ayn Rand fan, so I'll have to tell him you're reading Atlas. I've never read it--got about 1/2 way through the Fountainhead and haven't finished--she is heavy that's for sure.
    Enjoy your time and many thoughts and prayers going your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ope! Sorry for not signing (my bad!) This is Faith! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I can show you around Cincy, haha. It was good to meet your mom this weekend and I'm glad she gets to come visit you. It will be a great time!

    ReplyDelete