About Me

My photo
"It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things" Donald Miller

Friday, July 18, 2014

Settling

"The world is a book and those who do not travel only read one page."  St. Augustine

I read this quote a few years ago, and remember writing it down in my journal, circling it, underlining it, going over it in yellow highlighter.  Have any truer words ever been spoken?  The world truly is a book, with every chapter giving you more adventure, tears, laughter, understanding, and self-reflection.  The lessons I've learned about humanity & about myself & about God throughout my years of travel are invaluable and innumerable.  And traveling has become a part of my DNA, coiled together with all the other parts that make me, me.  That after being in one place for an extended period of time, I feel this sense of urgency to get out of my comfort zone, to embark on something new, to meet new people and try new foods, to find myself lost and frustrated and finally found again.

Cambodia.  Sometimes when I say it & let it roll around on my tongue, it still blows my mind that I'm finally here.  It truly is an incredible place.  Gritty, beautiful and tragic (mostly because of the light my work has shed on this place) all at the same time.  But I'm loving it and doing my best to feel comfortable with it which isn't always easy.  Life is good though and full of community.  And for the first time, I feel excited to go to work.  I feel like my work matters, that my education and those long years of grinding out papers, briefs, and outlines have finally paid off.  I'm prepared (as best as I can be) and am ready to have my heart split open & spill all over my paper, to work for something that matters, to bring Heaven to earth for children being exploited in Cambodia.  To play a part, a very small fleeting part, but a part nonetheless, in the incredible work International Justice Mission does.

So that's my update.  Happy & content & missing home & full of peace.  And incredibly thankful for a God who is teaching me so much and allowing me to have this opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment