About Me

My photo
"It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things" Donald Miller

Monday, March 17, 2014

Cambodia…A Place I'll Soon Call Home


Soooo……(!!!!!)


That's right.  You read that correctly.  On June 25, I will call Phnom Penh, Cambodia, my new home for at least a year! 

Micah 6:8 is powerful, profound, yet so simple and straightforward.  Pursue justice.  Love mercy.  Walk humbly with God.  Three commands, a handful of words, but a statement of faith that requires a life of total surrender to accomplish.  If you’ve met me, you have probably noticed the small, cursive writing on my left wrist, Micah 6:8.  It’s my motto, the verse in the Bible that pierced my heart, and seared its message into my soul.  My faith and my calling are so intertwined, coiled together like strands of DNA, that in order to love God, I have to love people.  I have to care about humanity; I have to care about what’s happening on the other side of the world.  It has always been my dream to work in the trenches combating human trafficking and other human rights abuses. 

So as previously stated, I will be MOVING (!!!) to Phnom Penh, Cambodia, in June of 2014, to spend a year working for International Justice Mission (IJM) as a Legal Fellow.  I will be assisting the office as they plead the cases of those who have been bound into sexual slavery.  

IJM is a non-profit organization composed of attorneys, social workers, criminal investigators, and support staff.  The IJM staff in Cambodia work on the frontlines to bring rescue and relief to victims of sexual violence, including women and children, and to prosecute their perpetrators.  IJM carefully investigates situations of abuse and partners with local officials to free victims from their immediate situations of danger.  After the victims have been freed, IJM seeks to address the root of the problem by prosecuting the perpetrators in local court systems and empowering communities to make structural changes that can prevent such abuses in the future.  IJM also works with aftercare providers to help the newly freed victims adjust to a life that is very different from their past oppressive experiences. 

I'm very excited about this opportunity, but of course, am very sad to be leaving my friends and family as well as nervous to move to a unknown place full of unknown people, food, noises, sights, and sounds.  In the next few months, I am going to be terribly busy spending as much time with friends and family as is possible, hosting various fundraising events, and just preparing to close this chapter in my life.  I am excited for the challenge and ready to start truly pursuing my dream of living in another country working within the human rights sector of law.  

In the next few months, I'd love to have your support as I fundraise for IJM.  Here are some upcoming ways to support me financially. 

--**THIS WEEK**  Nathan Angelo Benefit Concert: Thursday, March 20 at Natasha's Bistro and Bar in downtown Lexington.  Tickets are $20.  All proceeds go towards my work with IJM.  Check out Nathan Angelo and Steve Means in the meantime, and join me for some great music, food, drinks, and a good cause! 

--Buffalo Wild Wings: Wednesday, April 2, at the Buffalo Wild Wings location on Todds Road in Lexington, KY.  Come have dinner and a portion of the proceeds will go to me. I will be passing out flyers at the event, so present that to your waiter or just let them know that you are there to support IJM, and I will receive the proceeds!

--Boot Camp: Saturday, April 19 from 10-11 am. My friend Marlene Nall, a certified personal trainer at Body Structure, has volunteered to teach a boot camp at Woodland Park (if it rains, the class will be held at Woodland Methodist Church).  The class fee is $10 per person, and all money raised will go towards my work in Cambodia.  

For my out-of-town-supporters/people who want to continue to support while I'm gone, you can donate online!  Click Here to donate to my cause.  You can choose to give a one time gift or a monthly gift, then choose my name from the drop down menu, then put in the amount that you feel inclined to give.  This will be possible for the entire duration of my Fellowship.  All money donated directly to IJM will assist me, but it is all tax-deductible.  Please let me know if you have any questions/problems/concerns! 


As the move date gets closer, I will be added to the blog.  This will also be the best place to keep up with me on my journey.  I'm so thankful to have so much love, support, and prayers as I prepare for this big transition.  

2 comments:

  1. You go girl! See you on Thursday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley - so exciting to hear your plans to go to Phnom Penh. We are friends with Lindsey Miller, you may know her, and I clicked through a link to read this post. My wife & I just returned from Phnom Penh after 8 months of serving with an NGO focused on aftercare of girls who had been trafficked. If at all possible, we are willing to communicate with you about any questions you have, etc about the city, people, things to do / see, etc. I am glad to see you are going with IJM - they are a great organization and have done / are doing a lot of good there in Cambodia. God bless your efforts! You can see some of our day to day life on our family's Facebook page: www.facebook.com/kellysdestiny

    ReplyDelete