About Me

My photo
"It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things" Donald Miller

Friday, August 30, 2013

LOVE. HONOR. TRUTH

So at the end of March, I accepted the position as Chapter Adviser for the UK Phi Mu Chapter.  During college, I only held minor positions in my chapter, but  I was always involved and loved Phi Mu.  The new chapter at UK has only been there for two years, so they are in need of some alumnae women who can invest in their chapter and provide support.  Although not specifically applying for the position of Chapter Adviser, I decided to go for it.  I really wasn't involved in too much at that time, having just finished law school and the bar exam, so I was excited.  I didn't do too much at the end of last semester, just met the girls and did a little here and there.  

August was a different story.  As Chapter Adviser, there were a lot of things I had to prepare and figure out in a few short weeks.  Recruitment at the University of Kentucky is a whole different ballgame from tiny Georgetown College.  Here are some examples:

Women going through:
Georgetown: 100-ish girls going through recruitment. 
UK: 1300-ish girls going through recruitment.

Parties:
Georgetown: 4 open house parties. 
UK: open house parties starting at 8:00 am, ending at 7:45 pm.  No lunch break.  

Recruitment Styles:
Georgetown: Spring Recruitment...we know the women we want. 
UK: Fall Recruitment...classes haven't even started. 

Needless to say, it was very overwhelming.  I didn't know what I was doing half the time.  And I was utterly exhausted every day.  I would be there from early in the morning till late at night during the weekends, and arrive right after work, staying until the wee morning hours during the week.  As exhausting as it was though, I loved it.  I love the ladies in my chapter, I love their passion to build a strong chapter, and I love their excitement as they meet new girls who would make excellent Phi Mus.  I have meet some great alumnae from Georgetown and other chapters around the state and US who have become great friends.  It felt as though I was back in college for just a few days, as I relived the long hours of recruiting.  Becoming a Phi Mu was one of the best decisions I made in college, and I am now realizing it was one of the best decisions I've made in my life, as cheesy as that sounds.  

Here are some snapshots from the week :)   

One of my new pals.  Miss Meredith Johnson is our new house director.  She is a former London gal and Delta Eta (Georgetown College) alumna.  She is doing a great job, and has quickly become a fantastic friend! I'm excited for what our year together will bring at the University of Kentucky! 

Bid Day Excitement.  We wanted to get in on the Phi Mu photos, so we did, greedily grabbing the giant letters out of the hands of our new Phis (just kidding, we didn't do that, but we were a little too excited to take some pictures).  

We had our Bid Day Party at a horse farm.  The ladies got to eat some delicious BBQ,  pet some horses, eat cupcakes, and mingle with their new sisters.  It was a beautiful evening, and a great way to celebrate a successful recruitment. 

I love Kentucky.  It was gorgeous at this farm.  I was obsessed.


I'll end with the Phi Mu Creed.  It's beautiful and the words by which the Faithful Sisters live.  Enjoy.

The Creed of Phi Mu Fraternity

To lend to those less fortunate a helping hand.
To think of God as a protector and guide of us all.To keep forever sacred the memory of those we have loved and lost.To be to others what we would they would be to us.To keep our lives gentle, merciful and just,Thus being true to the womanhood of love.

To walk in the way of honor, guarding the purity of our thoughts and deeds.Being steadfast in every duty small or large.Believing that our given word is binding.Striving to esteem the inner man above culture, wealth or pedigree.Being honorable, courteous, tender,Thus being true to the womanhood of honor.

To serve in the light of truth avoiding egotism, narrowness and scorn.To give freely of our sympathies.To reverence God as our Maker, striving to serve Him in all things.To minister to the needy and unfortunate.To practice day by day love, honor, truth.Thus keeping true to the meaning, spirit and reality of Phi Mu.


No comments:

Post a Comment