About Me

My photo
"It is always the simple things that change our lives. And these things never happen when you are looking for them to happen. Life will reveal answers at the pace life wishes to do so. You feel like running, but life is on a stroll. This is how God does things" Donald Miller

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Living in Arusha, Tanzania

It's Sunday, and I think I am finally all settled in Arusha. Time to recap the last few days of moving to Arusha.

I left the states on Tuesday afternoon.  I flew from Lexington to Detroit to Amsterdam to Kilimanjaro.  It was actually the smoothest travel I have ever done, even smoother than most domestic traveling.  I left at 3:30 on Tuesday afternoon and arrived in Tanzania on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. (my new time) and about 12:30 p.m. (my old KY time).  It was two very long flights, but luckily I slept a lot of the trip so I felt pretty good upon arrival.  It took only about a half hour to get through customs since I had valid visa from my last trip to Tanzania.  I went to the baggage claim, and my bags were there which was a huge relief.  I went outside the airport, and I found my driver from the UN.  We had a few stops before I arrived at my temporary housing.  I finally arrived at the temporary house where two other female interns were also staying.  We had Internet at the house so I was able to call my family and Eric and let them know that I arrived safely.  It was good to hear their voices, but it also started to sink in that I was going to be away from loved ones for four months.  I have definitely been homesick for the past few days, but I finally am starting to get in a routine, make some friends, and am excited about what's going to happen over the next four months. 

Thursday, September 1, I started my internship at the Tribunal.  It was pretty surreal driving back up to the gate, checking through security, and looking at the buildings knowing this would be my second home for the next few months.  Thursday was a really long day because we had to go in small group to get our badges made which allow us to get into the tribunal every day, so most of the day was spent sitting around,  So far I have met other interns from: other parts of the US, Australia, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Israel, France, Kenya, Uganda, and Rwanda.  I was shown to the Office of the Prosecutor section within the tribunal.  Within that section, there are two divisions: trial and appeals.  I am working in the trial division, and will be working in a room with nine other interns.  I am going to try and post a picture of that later once we all get assignments so you can get a picture of the chaos and excitement in the room. 

On Friday, September 2, I moved into a house which I think looks like a mansion.  It is called "The White House."  It was one of the options for interns and apparently there is a lot of responsibility with living in the house as historically it is the hangout/party house.  It is huge!  I am living with four other female interns: Faith from Australia, Jane from California, Kris from North Carolina, and Katariina from Finland.  So far everyone is great, we have so much space so I am doubting there will be much conflict as we have lots of room to spread out and live.  Yesterday, we walked around the city and did some errands.  Today, I slept late which was nice.  After I woke up, Faith, Katariina, Jane, and I went to the local market to buy groceries.  I ended up with a nice selection.  Here's what I got: 4 avocados, grapes, 3 passion fruits, 2 limes, about 15 bananas and 1 green pepper for about $8.  Then I purchased bread, peanuts, and some banana chips for about the same from a corner shop.  I am hoping to take my camera next week and take some pictures.  I wanted to get comfortable in the market before taking my camera, so hopefully pictures will come soon.  We just got back and fixed some lunch.  Tonight we are going to have dinner with an intern who just arrived and legal officer we know at the ICTR.  It should be fun.  I also contacted Wilfred, my safari driver from my study abroad trip, and I am hoping to see him in the next day or two. 

Here are some pictures of the house


 We have a giant turtle as a pet...


 The White House in all its glory


My bedroom


Didn't want to get too close, but this is my UN badge


Closet


 Trying to "nest" a bit, pictures of friends and family


                                                                      Bathroom


Living Room with TV


Dining Room (connected to the Living Room)

                                                
                                                                         Kitchen


Well that is about all that I have to update today.  Next week, I will get assignments at the UNICTR, meet my supervisor, and will get an "official" orientation.  More to update next week!  Lots of love from Tanzania. 

7 comments:

  1. Living it up BIG in the White House!! I LOVE reading your updates! Can't wait to hear more soon. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I will be going to the ICTR for the same internship in less than 2 months. Can I contact you to learn more about your time there, any suggestions you may have, etc.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leave your email. I can contact you.

      Delete
    2. Hi! I too am going to Arusha to work in the same internship position with the ICTR in September 2012. There is very little information coming out of the Tribunal at this point. I would love to ask you a few questions, related to living costs, living arrangements, and overall experience at the Tribunal during your time there. Any other advice or pointers would be awesome! Thanks! My email is cmdavidson546@yahoo.com

      Delete
  3. Hi Ashley,
    reading your blog makes me want to leave for arusha right away !!!
    To introduce myself, This is Nusrat Khan and I will also be interning at the ICTR starting September 2012. Like Jim pointed out (Hi Jim) there is little information that we have about preparing for our arrival and stay in Arusha. I have no idea about Housing and how would i get from the KIA airport to Arusha ..

    Can you please give me some pointers about Housing !

    My email id is nusratkhan85@gmail.com..

    Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your blog about Tanzania,especially finding your luggage intact in at the air
    port.The seasoned travelers always used to have trepidation at the airport.It was notorious wrongly or rightly as a haven of thieves.I had lost or my bags were cut open many a times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ashley,
    I just read your blog about Arusha and I am heading there next month for the same internship. I am having the same sort of problems as the others have said about not knowing what to expect! Could you give me some pointers or information on living there and costs?? Really anything! my email is cgreen16@mail.depaul.edu

    Thanks!!

    -Chelsey

    ReplyDelete